If you want to calculate any statistics split into the different categories of a variable, you can do this easily in SPSS. All you need to do is the following:
- Click on “Data” from the pull-down menus
- Click on “split file” found almost all the way at the bottom of the list of commands
- Toggle the circle at the top that says “Compare groups”
- You will now be allowed to move the variable you want to split your data by, from the box on the left into the “Groups Based on:” box on the right .
- for example, if you want separate statistics for men and for women, move the variable “Sex of respondent” to the “Groups Based on:” box.
- Leave the “sort the file by grouping variables” box toggled
- Click ok
- Not much will happen at first, but when you then calculate any statistics, your results will be grouped by your variable (e.g. men and women).
Here, I made a video to show you the steps I just described: